Last week Judge Nick visited our class with Erica (a magistrate). Before we started our mock trial Nick and Erika answered some questions from the children.
- Alex: What is the most common law broken?
- Mumith: How do you decide if somebody is lying?
- Ridwan: Do you like being a judge and why?
Our mock trial was about the theft of Betty Crocker’s handbag and Jay Williams was accused of committing the crime. Many of the children had a role in the trial, they included:
- Court Usher
- Legal Adviser (Clerk of the Court)
- Crown Prosecutor (Prosecution Lawyer)
- Defence Lawyer
- Defendant (the accused): Jay Williams
- Complainant (alleged victim) : Betty Crocker
- Prosecution witness #1: Ayesha Smith (Café Manager)
- Prosecution witness #2: Police Constable Khan
- Two magistrates (to sit on Bench with Judge acting as lead magistrate)
The trial found that Jay Williams was guilty of the crime and he was fined £65.
We thoroughly enjoyed the trial because it made us feel like we were in a real courtroom, especially having a real judge here.