For STEAM week, Bluebell Class made a volcano experiment. First the children learnt about what volcanoes look like and what they do – erupt! Then we spoke about the different components we needed for our experiment. This included smelling the sour vinegar, washing up liquid and white baking powder.
To make the experiment:
- We filled a cup half full with water.
- We added 3 teaspoons of bicarbonate of soda.
- We added 2 drops of red food colouring.
- We added a squirt of washing up liquid.
- We added a quarter cup of vinegar.
We all watched in amazement when the volcano erupted!
Here are some of the good observations made by the class: “It’s going to explode.” “It’s turning red.” “The water fell out, its big bubble come. It’s going to be so big” “It’s going to burst.” “The green thing is going up.”